Tuesday, December 19, 2006

research surveys lack Disability Confidence

A friend of ours recently had an interesting experience regarding telephonic market surveys:

I participated in a telephonic Markinor survey this morning (for Standard
Bank clients).

It ended faster than I would have liked.

After a dozen or so "leader" questions it became clear that the survey was
about in-bank service, i.e. over the counter, bricks 'n mortar banking. I
said that, if at all possible, I avoided banking halls because most are
inaccessable to wheelchairs, and the accessable ones have counter-tops which
come up to my nose height. I don't like conducting my financial business
feeling like a 4-year-old at a sweet store.

This was not what Markinor wanted to hear.

I was quickly informed that if I did not use bank branches, or their banking
halls, then my contribution to the survey was not required. Re-affirming
them of my reason for not doing so did not appear to change their view. They
could not see that lack of wheelchair access, or lack of suitable teller
counters, was in effect a lack of service.

So Markinor will be providing Standard Bank with the finding of their
service level research, but it will not reflect that their service to
disabled clients is lacking. Hmmm . . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

isnt that always the way though. i mean being a disabled person (blind) i am never asked how good any service is or wether i am hapy with the service. their view seems to be that i shuld be hapy with any service as they are doing me a favor and not the other way round. makes you sick doesnt it.

Anonymous said...

Hey!
Your back!
But where did you go?
And where did all the posts go - I loved that one where you describe the thought that went into your logo. Really cool!
Welcome back! I so missed you!

Love

Jo Ann xxx

Anonymous said...

happy Christmas

Anonymous said...

did makinor ever respond to you? i wuld be interested to know

Guy said...

No, Makinor never came back...which also speaks volumes about their "service" and accuracy.